Lakshore Lodge, West PointThe Lakeshore Lodge began life about 1870 as the Lakeshore House, erected by local farmer Lewis Mastin. Subsequently redeveloped into a much larger structure in a partnership between John W. Hyatt and Daniel MacDonald, by 1893 the hotel had evolved into a three storey hipped-roof structure with adjoining wings of two stories.
The grounds featured a row of nine cottages connected by a boardwalk to the main building, and to a recreational hall, dance pavilion, swimming pool and a dock that allowed guests to arrive by boat.
MacDonald and Hyatt sold the business in 1905, and the hotel went through various owners until 1971. The Ministry of Natural Resources acquired the property in 1972, but during the time redevelopment was being considered, the building was vandalized, and finally burned to the ground on Halloween, 1983.
Click on any image to view/download a higher-resolution version.
For non-profit use only; please respect our image copyright.
Do you have other images of the Lakshore Lodge? We'd love to digitize them and add them to this page!